10 fun facts about Barbie™
- It takes a team of over 100 people to create a Barbie (from fashion designers and make-up artists to couturiers and pattern makers).
- The first Barbie Doll was sold for USD$3.
- Barbie’s official birthday is 9th March 1959.
- The first Ken doll was made in 1961.
- The best-selling Barbie doll ever was 1992 Totally Hair™ Barbie, which featured floor-length hair.
- Barbie has had over 200 inspirational careers including astronaut, pilot, firefighter, journalist and entrepreneur.
- Barbie travelled into space in 1965, four years before man walked on the moon.
- The Twiggy Barbie Doll, produced from 1967 to 1968, was the first Barbie based on a real-life person. Originals are considered collectors items and can be found on eBay today upwards of USD$600.
- Oscar de la Renta was the first designer collaboration in 1985.
- In 1997, Danish dance-pop group Aqua’s hit song “Barbie Girl” topped the charts worldwide. On December 5th 2000, Mattel sued MCA Records, the recording company of Aqua, saying the song violated the Barbie trademark and turned Barbie into a sex object, referring to her as a "Blonde Bimbo."
Image: Aqua’s 1997 ‘Aquarium’ album.